Being a new Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) comes with a lot of responsibility. With advancements in cyber attacks and so much going on in social media, the job of a CISO has become increasingly more difficult over recent years. In order for a new CISO to be successful, they must quickly pin down how to balance priorities and challenges on the job.
“An effective CISO can no longer rely on his or her technical expertise alone. They must understand how strategic initiatives create risks and develop security programs that balance the need to drive business performance with the growing realities and complexities of protecting customers, intellectual property, and brand.” – Ed Powers of Deloitte & Touche LLP
Don’t feel like you are on your own as a CISO. Consider teaming up with TrustMAPP, an information security dashboard designed to elevate information security. We can help you have your firm ready for a data breach attempt or other cyber threat.
Common Challenges for New CISO’s
Research by Deloitte’s CISO Transition Lab found that new CISO’s face the following challenges when starting with a new organization:
- Lack of Support – Entering a new job, you may not have the support and resources needed to be efficient as a CISO. This includes poor support from executives and stakeholders.
- Communication Issues – Your new organization may have communication gaps between the decision makers and information security.
- Poor Governance – Current cyber strategy and procedures may not be up to par.
- Lack of Funding – Not having enough funding can quickly make a CISO’s job difficult.
How TrustMAPP with Security Challenges
Putting out fires everyday should not be your only role as CISO. You should have the bandwidth to also provide valuable feedback and information to the organization in hopes of helping build a cyber safe firm. At TrustMAPP, we directly address these challenges and we focus on the following to help bridge the gaps for CISO’s:
- Assess – Thanks to our assessment tools, you can quickly review and oversee the security process across the business.
- Measurement – We are able to provide true measurements to help CISO’s understand which areas to focus on regarding security.
- Analyze – Analyzing your company’s security against 6 primary indicators, you will be able to fully analyze the strengths and weaknesses of your security plan across the board.
- Improve – Understanding and measuring your cyber security is great, but you have to be able to build off of your findings. TrustMAPP helps you develop a roadmap to better information security.
So, if you are struggling as a new CISO due to various challenges you may be facing that you have no control over, consider teaming up with TrustMAPP to help bridge the gap in your information security challenges. Give us a call today at (952) 544-0234 to learn more about the solutions we can provide.