Do you have an effective privacy program? CISOs and other information security & privacy practitioners need to ask themselves these three questions when analyzing the organization’s privacy metrics:
How do you measure and communicate the business value of your privacy program?
- What do corporate executives want to know about your privacy program?
- What is the business value of an effective privacy program?
Privacy is important and we propose the following values when creating an effective privacy program that work for any organization:
- Trust and Confidence
- Innovation and Growth
- Service and Quality
- Efficiency and Deployment
It’s important that CISOs are asking themselves: Do the traditional metrics communicate the effectiveness of the privacy program?
Many times, the answer is no. Too often, organizations fall back on compliance box-checking instead of taking a serious look and deep-dive into the privacy program’s maturity.
Maturity is just a unit of measurement. Data privacy-focused process maturity signifies an integrated approach to organizational performance management that results in:
- Delivery of continuous improvement value to customers and stakeholders, contributing to organizational success
- Improvement of an organization’s overall effectiveness and capabilities
- Opportunities for learning about the organization for people in the workforce
There are also a few benefits of Process Maturity as Baseline listed below:
- Clear articulation of the business values of privacy-focused processes
- Clear path to the organizational mission, values, and objectives
- Measures and treats specific activities holistically by considering people, process, and technology
- Aligns easily with supporting functions and processes